One-size diapers are great because they fit from "newborn to potty training." You don't have to worry about replacing your stash as your baby grows, but it can be confusing to figure out when it's time to adjust the size or to figure out what size your diapers should be on. Here's some tips to get you started:
|bumGenius diapers sizing guide|
- Most manufacturers have a size guide. Start there! Adjust your diaper according to their recommendation, usually based on weight. If the diaper seems like a good fit, go with it! If not, adjust accordingly.
- Newborns may not fit in one-size diapers, yet. Even though the manufacturer claims their diaper will fit from birth, sometimes they don't! It all depends on the shape of your baby. If the diaper doesn't fit on the smallest setting yet, don't worry, it will happen soon!
- It's time to adjust the sizing on your one-size diapers when the fit becomes "weird." If the diaper doesn't look quite right in the current sizing, try going up a size. That may fix your problem.
- You may worry that your baby will outgrow their diapers well before potty training like the manufacturer claims. Many babies, before becoming mobile, will need the diaper on a larger size. Once your child becomes mobile and loses some baby fat, you may find that you need to go down a size. It is typical for a child to slim down once walking.
- Don't be afraid to "customize" your sizing. Sometimes I unsnap the middle snap on the rise adjustment, but leave the outer snaps together for a tighter fit around the legs.